Cowboy Adventures During the Wild West
The Wild West The Wild West refers to the period from the end of the Civil War in 1865 to around 1900. It recounts the tales from the pioneers of America, the settler the cattle kings, the gold mining, steamboats, railroads The cowboys, Indians outlaws, gun slingers. Famous characters from the Wild West include Whyatt Earp, Doc Holliday, Bat Masterson, Billy the Kid The Calamity Jane, Belle Starr. When the first European settlers arrived in America Many move westward looking for a new start and the promise of wealth. The West provided land, fertile soil for agriculture, and also new opportunities to earn money that were not possible by the East. The Two-Fisted Town Tamer Thomas James Smith, also called "Bear River Smith" (12 June 1830 - 2 November 1870) was a lawman of the American Wild West and a marshal in the town of cattle, Abilene, Kansas. Smith was a quiet-spoken lawman with a rugged reputation. He hails from New York City, where he worked as an officer of the police. For more detail please visit:- While employed as police officers in New York City in 1868, Smith was involved in the fatal shooting of a 14-year-old boy at which point he was forced to resign. He also served as a lawman in small towns like Wyoming, Bear River and in Kit Carson, Colorado. Marshal of Abilene Abilene, Kansas, was an open-air cattle town, that was home to numerous brothels, saloons and even lawlessness. In 1867, crime grown to the point that murder and shootings were a frequent occurrence. Tom Smith was commissioned as the Deputy US Marshal in 1869 to bring the law into Abilene in 1869. He argued that he would enforce the law by using his fists rather than using guns. Soon after taking office, Smith overpowered both, "Big Hank" Hawkins and "Wyoming Frank" and banished both from Abilene, after beating them both at the exact while using his only hands. Smith also introduced a "no guns in the town limits" law, which proved highly unpopular. In the subsequent two months, Smith survived two assassination attempts. His reputation for toughness and numerous arrests of law-breakers led him to be widely admired and loved by the people of Abilene. The 2nd of November 1800, Smith along with a deputy who was on leave went to issue the warrant to Andrew McConnell and Moses Miles regarding the murder of an Abilene citizen. They found the suspects 10 miles outside of Abilene which is where a gunfight began. Smith was badly injured in the chest, and his deputy fled the scene. Moses Miles then took an Axe and cut off Tom Smith. McConnell and Miles were captured and detained in March 1871. Andrew McConnell got 12 years in prison. Moses Miles spent 16 years before being released. Tom Smith was buried in Abilene and a large tombstone was erected with a plaque to honor his contribution to Abilene. Smith was replaced as marshal by legendary lawman and gunfighter "Wild Bill" Hickock. Ronald Reagan, as the host of the western-themed television show syndicated by the network, Death Valley Days, played Smith in the episode from 1965 "No Gun Behind His Badge". Colter's Run John Colter (c.1770-1775 - May 7 1770 - November 22, 1812 or 22 November 1813) was a mountaineer and explorer who was a participant in the Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1803 to 1806 ordered by President Thomas Jefferson, to explore and cartograph the newly acquired American Northwest from Napoleonic France, and beyond after the Louisiana Purchase of 1803. Colter also became the first person from European descent to visit the area that later became Yellowstone National Park and to view the Teton Mountain Range during the winter of 1807-1808. Blackfeet Indians In 1809, Colter joined forces with John Potts, another former participant in the Lewis and Clark Expedition to trap for beaver for the lucrative fur trade close to the Jefferson River in what is today Montana when they encountered more than hundred of the hated Blackfeet Indians while traveling by canoe. The Blackfeet demanded they come ashore. Colter did not hesitate and was taken away and stripped naked. Potts refused to go on the attack and was wounded and shot. Potts later killed one of the Indian warriors and was immediately riddled with arrows fired by the Indians from the shore. The body was later taken to the shore, where it was hacked into pieces. Run-For-Life The Blackfeet had a discussion about how to kill Colter, the chief decided to allow him to run for his life and then be pursued by the Indians using spears. They took him to a nearby plain with a three-to four hundred yard starting point. Colter knew that he needed to beat the Blackfeet to have any chance of surviving. He started his run-for-life across the plain, and was able to beat the Indians with the exception of one who was about twenty yards further behind. Wanting to stay clear of the spear-throwing, he stopped at a stop, turned his back, and spread out his arms. The shocked Indian exhausted from his run to fall, stumbled when he attempted to throw his spear. Colter immediately grabbed the spear, killing the Indian. He then continued his run with the other Indians who were following him at a distance. Colter was able to cross at the Madison River, five miles from his start and was able to hide under driftwood, near a lodge for beavers. He could hear the yells of the Blackfeet, and they turned up and down the river in search of him. He waited until night, then climbed out to walk naked and frozen, toward the fort of the trader. Colter got weaker from fatigue and hunger, surviving only on the bark and roots and had bloody feet from the thorns of a cactus that poked his feet. Miraculously, Colter reached Manuel Lisa's Fort in just seven days, where the fort was filled with acquaintances. After a few weeks when his strength returned and strength, he returned to Blackfeet country during the winter season to collect the traps he had left behind. John Colter lived five more years after his incredible race, but he died from jaundice in Missouri in the state of Missouri, where he is buried in a grave that is not marked. Alexander Todd Former clerk Alexander Todd got gold fever and decided to travel to California to seek his fortune. He soon realized that he was not equipped with the physical strength required to stand up to all the work that was gruelling in the gold fields that lie in the freezing waters of the Mother Lode (rich source of an ore , or mineral). But, it didn't take the time to locate ways to earn money without the need to pan for gold. California Gold Rush California had seen rapid growth thanks to the gold rush. However, getting letters in San Francisco to the Mother Lode country was difficult. The federal government was sending mail to California by way of the Isthmus of Panama, a route that was as long and uncertain for the postal service , as it had been for Forty-Niners (gold seekers in 1849's California gold rush in 1849). Todd explored the mining camps and enrolled hundreds of miners in solitude who wanted to hear from home. The closest post office was in San Francisco which was a two-week trip to San Francisco and back. The miners didn't want to give up their claim that long so they signed up for the mail service. On the 14th of July in 1849 Todd began delivering post to the San Francisco post office charging $2.50 for a letter, and an ounce of gold. $16 for delivery to the person who delivered all mail he spotted at the mine camp. In his first visit on his first trip, he handed over $150,000 of gold for a few merchants to an organization in San Francisco and was paid $7,500. After Todd gave the postmaster at the San Francisco post office the long list of names, the clerk swears Todd in as a post office clerk so that he could look through the piles of letters for himself charging twenty-five cents for each letter found. It didn't worry Todd since he'd discovered another way to make money. He bought old New York newspapers for a dollar and then sold them for $8 in return at his gold mines. Another profitable business he launched was the packaging of gold from mining camps to be deposited in San Francisco in exchange for five percent of the value. Everything he Did Turned to Gold In the absence of the shovel or a pick, Alexander Todd made a fortune using good old American inventiveness. Charles Marion Russell (1864 - 1926) Charles Marion Russell, "the cowboy artist," storyteller and writer (also called C. M. Russell, Charlie Russell, and "Kid" Russell) was born in St. Louis, Missouri on the 19th of March, 1864. It was an artist of The American Wild West who created more than 4,000 artworks during his lifetime. He created works in bronze, paint, wax, and ink of cattlemen, Indians, and landscapes, set in western Canada, in the Western United States and in Alberta, Canada. Russell loved the "Wild West" and would be awed by the stories of it . He also loved speaking with explorers and fur traders who passed through Missouri. He was taught to ride horses on Hazel Dell Farm near Jerseyville, Illinois, on a famous Civil War horse named Great Britain from Col. William H. Fulkerson who was got married to his family, the Russell family. At the age of sixteen, Russell left school to pursue his dream of the Wild West as the cowboy of a sheep ranch in Montana Then, he moved into working with Jake Hoover, a hunter and trapper who had become an rancher. From Hoover, he learned much about life in the Wild West and they remained lifelong friends. In 1882, at the age of 18 years old, Russell worked as a cowboy for a number of Outfits throughout Montana. In 1885, He began working as an artist. In the winter of 1886-1887 as he worked on the O-H Ranch in the Judith Basin of Central Montana The artist painted a series of watercolors. When the ranch foreman received a letter from the owner asking what the cattle's experiences were during the winter months, he sent him an image of a postcard that Russell had painted of a haggard steer that was being snatched by wolves, under a dark winter sky. The owner of the ranch gave the postcard out to friends and business acquaintances . In the end, the postcard was displayed at a retail display within Helena, Montana giving Russell his first experience of publicity and commissions to create new work. His watercolor "Waiting for a Chinook" was among his most well-known artworks. Native American Culture It was in 1888 that Russell discovered a lot about Native American culture when he was able to spend some time in Blood Indians, a segment of Blackfeet. He became an activist to Native Americans and supported the Chippewa to have an Indian reservation created for them in Montana. In 1916, Congress passed legislation to establish the Rocky Boy Reservation. Marriage In 1892, he settled in Great Falls, Montana and in 1896, he got married to his wife Nancy. Between 1904 and the time of his demise in 1926, he also modeled 46 subjects which were then cast in bronze. His painting from 1914 "When the Land Belonged to God" is a nostalgic work from an artist who is getting older looking back on his youth during his time in the Wild West.. Worlwide Acclaim Charles Marion Russell had now become a household name and received world-wide acclaim. *Four Russell paintings were sold for more than $100,000. *"Water Girl (No. 1)," sold for $220,000. *"Blood Chief" was a success, bringing $200,000. "Portrait of Indian" sold for $150,000. His 1918 painting Piegans was auctioned off for $5.6 million. In 1955 the year 1955, he was inducted into his Hall of Great Westerners of the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum. The Iconic Stetson Hat John Batterson Stetson (May 5 1830 to February 18th 19) was an American person who started the John B. Stetson Company making the popular cowboy hat in 1865 during the Gold Rush. The Stetson is perhaps the best known hat in the world. It's also synonymous with the cowboy lifestyle. It is now an American tradition, just like apple pie, baseball and Fourth of July. Stetson, had his name, John B. Stetson Company that was embossed in gold on every hatband, and it became the most well-known hat in the West. The first hat was sold for five dollars and by 1900, he had established the largest hat manufacturer in the world. John B. Stetson John B. Stetson was born in New Jersey, the 8th of 12 children. Stephen Stetson was his father. Stephen Stetson was a hatter and as a young man, John worked with him until he was diagnosed as having Tuberculosis terminal. In 1859, he resigned from the hat-making trade to pursue his love for the American West and hoped to beat tuberculosis by living in the natural setting. There, he worked in that Gold Rush at Pike's Peak, Colorado, where an estimated 100,000 gold seekers participated in one of the most significant Gold Rushes of North American history. During his time within the West, Stetson also met cowboys, bullwhackers, and drovers and observed their flea-infested cowskin caps, sea-captain-style hats, straw hats, and wool derbies worn by many were not protected. He believed it was more appropriate to wear an all-weather, hat that would be more appropriate for the rugged landscape of the West and decided to design an all-weather, waterproof felt hat that was sturdy, light and natural-looking. It has a four-inch crown and wide brim that was plain with a strap band.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.